THE PARISH CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION OF MARY
It is the central sacral object in the center of Dobrna. It is visible from all directions because it dominates the town from a small hill. In the Baroque style, which was preserved in the countryside in the first half of the 19th century, in 1844, the current church was built on the ruins of an old church.
Our beatified Anton Martin Slomšek was named as the bishop of the Lavantine diocese on 5 July 1846 in Salzburg. As the first church, on August 30 the same year he blessed the newly built church of the Assumption in Dobrna. The church vault is covered with the frescoes by Tomaž Fantoni, a frequent author in our churches and a representative of the Friulian group of painters who worked in the wider area of Slovenian Styria. His work in this church in Dobrna is his very first work in Slovenia. The building has three marble tombstones, including the tombs of Matija and Margareta Gačnik, from the nobles of Dobrna, who are still a symbol of the former bloom and power for Dobrna. The golden plastic of the Assumption in the niche behind the large altar, taken from the old church, dates back to 1740.
The Chapel of St. Joseph joined the old church by vicar Gašpar Rodič in 1663, helped by the owner of Kačjek, Matija Gačnik, who had a family tomb made in this chapel in 1676. When the old church was destroyed, the chapel was also destroyed, but it was newly built in the same year. There were three large bells in the belfry, two of them were removed during the war, and the only one that remained was the smallest one from 1924. In the 90s of the last century, the parishioners got an even bigger one and named it Slomšek’s bell.